Built in 1896 by former San Francisco Mayor, Adolph Sutro, Sutro Baths was a gargantuan glass and steel structure that housed seven swimming pools of various temperatures. The pools held 1.7 million gallons of water and could be filled in one hour by the oceans high tides. Sutro Baths also boasted an amphitheater seating up to 3,700 people, and three restaurants that could accommodate over 1,000 guests. In the 40's part of Sutro Baths was converted into an ice skating rink. The Sutro Speedsters practiced their speed skating there during that time.